Professional and Leadership Skills Assignment Sample
Get the best assignment sample on professional and leadership skills.
The designing plan for the engineers is the cycle by which certain objectives or capacities are converted into a diagram for antiquity, interaction, framework, or administration that can satisfy these capacities. A car satisfies the capacity of transportation.
- The designing plan for the engineers is unique in relation to different types of plans, for example, style plan or the plan of strategy—in that it brings about antiquities and frameworks grounded in specialized information.
- Design morals concern ethical behavior as well as dependable decisions in the act of design(Chell, et al., 2016). It controls how engineers work with clients, associates of products, how they manage the plan interaction, and how they handle the ethical importance or good value of the items that outcome from the activities of planning.
In light of these different plan blemishes, the Pinto converted into the focal point of public discussion. The weakness of the vehicle would also cause serious loss in terms of brand image which is required to be justified properly. Moral contemplations have consistently suspected a part in plan thinking, however, the enhancement of logical information and advancement has extended attention to the moral abilities of the structure. As engineers fuse modern information on physical and human instinct just as advanced kinds of innovation into their cars, individuals are progressively mindful of the outcomes of the structure for individual, social arrangments, societies, and the regular persons.
The cost-benefit investigation has been broadly viewed as a determination methodology that is proper for the most part in business and logical settings. To numerous individuals in morals, it might appear to be totally unimportant to moral strategies.
- The individuals who do think of it as pertinent may accept, not unnaturally, that its utilization suggests a guarantee to some type of utilitarianism. The facts confirm that for utilitarianism, likelihood tasks are urgent in particular sorts of good choices(Dauphinée, 2016).
- Utilitarianism likewise energizes measurement of whatever qualities are to be advanced, like human satisfaction or, on an indulgent variant, delight and the decrease of agony.
- A Cost-benefit strategy permits organizations to work on difficult business choices.
This company may involve in an assortment of costs in various kinds of activities at a low stage. Executing a Cost-benefit investigation permits organizations to identify the benefits of a choice (advantages of making an action short the expenses related to creating that action). It includes quantifiable economic measurements, for example, income acquired, and costs saved as of the choice to seek after a venture. This encourages organizations to think about various undertakings on the basis of net advantages independent of dissimilarities.
The answer is unquestionably not. In the wake of perusing the case, one can’t help suspecting that people, in general, were never really informed until some other time. The controversy surrounding the Ford Pinto involved the arrangement of the car’s gas tank. It was installed after the back pivot, rather than before it. This was at the front arranged with an end goal in order to obtain further trunk area. The point with this construction, which later got ostensible, creates the Pinto more dangerous against a backside clash (Kuntz, et al., 2013). This inclination was increased by several points of the car. The fuel tank including the back pivot was distributed by just nine measures. There were additional bolts that were located in a way that endangered the fuel tank. The little imperfection in their status may make them be dismissed from a couple of occupations. Design morals concern ethical conduct and dependable decisions in the act of design. The facts confirm that for utilitarianism, likelihood tasks are urgent in particular sorts of good choices. At extended far, the fuel packing pipe arrangement delivered approximately a higher probability that it would release from the tank in case of a disaster than presumed. In light of these several plan blemishes, the Pinto directed into the focal subject of public debate (Chell, et al., 2016). At the point when it got out there was no declaration about the risks, and a portion of the main alerts, which didn’t come from Passage, didn’t arise until a couple of years after the fact, assuming that the fuel configuration was entirely defenseless even to minor harm. In any event, when the public discovered it all alone, Ford actually would not remember the car, and general society got shocked. D.
Safety is the first concern for the engineer. That is why the safety tie for the customers of the car is the biggest thing for the engineer. They can never be unethical in their work. Maybe the authority fired one of them. But he will not break into it and will look for a job in another department. Following the ethical aspects in professional carrier is considered as the first priority where the diversified range of pressures are required to be prevented (Chell, et al., 2016). The safety of the user is the first priority while manufacturing any product. The weakness of the vehicle would also cause serious loss in terms of brand image which is required to be justified properly. Being fired can be a major hit to the confidence and it can make a major dark blemish on the resume and on future requests for employment. Individuals get terminated for a wide range of reasons and the explanation of getting terminated will assume an immediate part in how simple or troublesome it will be to secure the next position. After termination, they have to plunk down and survey their circumstance. Getting fired certainly makes the pursuit of employment significantly seriously testing. It implies that they need to sparkle and be a lot more grounded work candidates than any of the opposition. The little imperfection in their status may make them be dismissed from a couple of occupations.
Arthur Jones, the engineer in this project, is in confusion and cannot decide whether it will be suitable to install the antennas. The possible adversities have been reported to his boss, Rachel Williams but Rachel is instructing to continue installation. In this condition, I would like to follow the steps mentioned below:
- I will first go for a formal meeting and directly mention the problem to my boss
- It should be mentioned that I have to work for Banana and my responsibility is to work with honesty
- I would mention the possible risks, ethical aspects so that in any accident in near future, it will severely affect his career.
Independent decision-making capability is important for everyone involved in a project (Schöttle, et al., 2015). In front of Rachel, Arthur’s approach should not be only as her subordinate but also as a civil engineer, who is concerned with career as well as the company, he is working in. If I find the reluctant attitude of my boss towards the risks in my job, I need to utter the reference of legal constraints.
Arthur Jones has experience of 10 years in the field of civil engineering, so he has sound knowledge of the installation of antennas and transmission towers like communication towers and pylons. In the recent project, he is about to install the PCS antennas on the existing pylons, which is expected to cause additional pressure and load. Therefore, Arthur is reporting the consequences to his boss, Rachel. Arthur is also thinking about a conversation with Rachel’s boss Tim Jackson but he might not get the point as he belongs to business background. If I was in Arthur’s position, to get rid of this dilemma, I like to primarily ask Rachel and then Tim to involve a legal advisor to make a clear interpretation of building regulations regarding the designing of towers with oblique wind angles. If none of them accept my decision, then it is better to leave the project rather than proceeding with risks.
There are various reasons that support my decision, as 3 main reasons are mentioned below:
- An engineer is responsible for direct impact on the quality of life, so it is important to properly analyse risk while making a decision (NSPE, 2019). Arthur is exactly doing the same but he is failing to establish his point properly because his boss is not thinking deeply about the problem. Involving in something consciously, which is supposed to be hazardous, contradicts the ethics of an engineer.
- Fairness, transparency, and honesty are some significant qualities of an engineer along with maintaining the career growth. Arthur is performing his tasks properly but Rachel is not considering the risk as something serious, so the decision is right because in case of any accident in near future, he will be blamed directly.
- Being a part of a project, an engineer has the right to share his opinion and make a firm stand while the project is supposed to cause several risks in future (Harris Jr, et al., 2013). But in the case of Arthur, Rachel is just imposing her viewpoint but not valuing what is postulated by Arthur, which is not a process of running project successfully.
The answer is certainly yes. If I can identify the excessive concern for commercial benefits in installing the antennas on the existing pylons even if it is risky, I will definitely not change my decision.
- An engineer needs to adhere to the principles and concept of sustainability that will be beneficial for future generation (NSPE, 2019). During her tenure, Rachel has never faced such issue regarding tower failure, so she is not ready to consider the problems in future while PCS antennas have been introduced only for the last 5 years. The point of service management is completely ignored by the interest of making profit, which is undoubtedly unethical.
- Although, now the company is concerned with commercial benefits ignoring the point of sustainability, but in case of the tower failure, the entire responsibility will come to Arthur. So, it is not justified to take risk just to make profit.
If I knew that a few of the antennas are supposed to be erected near the residential areas then I would be another concern for me. My decision was not changed but I tried hard to make some changes in the existing planning.
- Along with mentioning the possibility of tower failure, indicated by the software, I would also like to underline the potential adverse effects of erecting towers near residential area.
- Apart from involving the legal advisor, I would also suggest for advice from an environmental advisor, who can at least give idea about the ideal distance between residential buildings and towers (Goconstruct, 2021).
Commonly, in the case of project management, the manager is recognised as the only responsible person for all the obstacles and project failure. Despite the entire team contributes to the project, misleading statement or instruction from leader may cause failure (Pollack, 2007). The responsibility of failure can be inclined in various ways, such as:
- In this project of PCS antenna installation, Arthur is involved in the process of installation and calculation of stresses. Even if his software has identified extra load and possibility of tower failure under certain wind direction and speed, his boss Rachel instructs to carry on the project. In this scenario, Rachel will be actually responsible if the tower fail, because Arthur has already reported.
- It can be stated from a different point of view that if Arthur has main responsibility if he does not convey the issue to upper hierarchy. Arthur is planning to approach Rachel’s boss, which is right decision even if he cannot understand the problem.
- Rachel is certainly responsible but from an ethical perspective, Arthur is also responsible if he does not leave the project under the unreasonable demand of hierarchy.
Chell, E., Spence, L., Perrini, F. & Harris, J., 2016. Social entrepreneurship and business ethics: Does social equal ethical?. Journal of business ethics, 4(133), pp. 619-625.
Dauphinée, E., 2016. The ethics of researching war: Looking for Bosnia. 01 ed. Manchester : Manchester University Press.
Goconstruct, 2021. ENVIRONMENTAL ADVISOR. [Online]
Available at: https://www.goconstruct.org/construction-careers/what-jobs-are-right-for-me/environment-advisor/#:~:text=The%20main%20responsibility%20of%20an,waste%20management%20and%20environmental%20impact.
[Accessed 26 February 2021].
Harris Jr, C. et al., 2013. Engineering ethics: Concepts and cases. s.l.:Cengage Learning.
Kuntz, J., Kuntz, J., Elenkov, D. & Nabirukhina, A., 2013. Characterizing ethical cases: A cross-cultural investigation of individual differences, organisational climate, and leadership on ethical decision-making. Journal of Business Ethics, 113(2), pp. 317-331.
NSPE, 2019. NSPE Code of Ethics for Engineers. [Online]
Available at: https://www.nspe.org/resources/ethics/code-ethics#:~:text=Engineering%20has%20a%20direct%20and,health%2C%20safety%2C%20and%20welfare.
[Accessed 26 February 2021].
Pollack, J., 2007. The changing paradigms of project management. International journal of project management, 25(3), pp. 266-274.
Schöttle, A., Arroyo, P. & Bade, M., 2015. Comparing three methods in the tendering procedure to select the project team. 23rd Annual Conference of the International Group for Lean Construction, pp. 267-276.
Know more about UniqueSubmission’s other writing services: